Monday 6 April 2015

The Scarlet Patrol

The move is done, and we are, for the most part, settled into our new home in North Vancouver.  I can now find a moment here and there to swing a paintbrush again!  Whoo-hoo!

Last week, I even managed a brief visit to Trumpeter Salute in Burnaby.  Erik and I were there for about an hour - no gaming, but I saw a couple of familiar faces from Victoria (hi, Brian and Bruce!), and got to meet the famous Bob Murch.

I also, of course, bought new toys.

First up is a settler's cabin from 4Ground.  This is my first piece of laser cut MDF terrain, but it won't be my last.  The kit went together like a charm, no painting needed, just a bit of white glue and the building is table ready!








Amongst the several packs of Murchly Pulp goodness I picked up 'The Scarlet Patrol'.  I'd only intended to get 4 packs, then Bob mentioned the 6 for 5 deal, and then there was the breadfruit goddess, and then, well, you know...

Anyway, back to the Scarlet Riders.  I decided that I didn't want to have bolt-action rifles in my Wild West games, so I only painted the chap with the revolver and the one with the Winchester as mounties.  The others, for fun, I've done as Canadian cavalry, representing Strathcona's Horse in South Africa, the 19th Alberta Dragoons ca. 1912 and Canadian cavalry in the CEF prior to heading to the trenches in 1915.  For this period, the main distinguishing feature of the Canadian cavalry was the Stetson hat that we now associate with the RCMP.  These guys aren't quite right for the role I've assigned - none of them have bandoliers, for example - but are close enough for my purposes.





Hopefully I'll be able to update this blog on a slightly more frequent basis now, but you can never tell when you've got two toddlers as a permanent distraction!

Cheers

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment