Sunday 28 January 2024

German officers and NCOs

I finished these up last night while watching Rogue One with Arthur.  I joked with him that I was painting Imperial soldiers, which was somewhat apt as Lucas et al were inspired by German uniforms.  But then we carried on to note that all the main powers in WWI were Empires, including German, but also British, Russian, Japanese, Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman, and even the French Republic had imperial colonies, as did Italy!

Anyway, here are some officers and non-commissioned officers, plus a few other headquarters types for the late WWI Germans.  These are from Great War Miniatures.


I've put them on hex bases to help the leaders stand out from the rank and file troops.  These ones are more front line types, ready to lead the troops into action.



And this group are more of the HQ types, directing the action, managing communications and trying to keep up!  Many of these figures have Iron Crosses or ribbons, one even has the Blue Max.  I'm not thrilled with my painting of these medals, they are too small for me!  



Here is a comparison of a Wargames Atlantic plastic soldier with a Great War Miniatures metal figure.  The WGA has a more slender rifle, but for me the two fit well enough on the same battelfield.


And finally, I found this wee Wargames Foundry fellow in the lead mountain.  The Foundry WWI figures are noticeably smaller than WGA or GWM. I wouldn't recommend mixing them in the same force. 



No comments:

Post a Comment