August 21st was the day that Arthur and I really indulged our inner history nerd. We rented a car and headed out into the wilds of West Cork. Driving in Ireland was for me a real white knuckle experience. This was my first time driving on the left since I left New Zealand twenty years ago, first time driving manual since I got rid of the VW Golf in 2012, and of course the gear shift was on my left so I was particularly unco. Add on top of that the narrow, often one-lane country roads and it was a very intense experience. Spoiler alert: I returned the rental with no dents or scratches and with an intact clutch :) We had a beautiful day for it, too!
We drove to the Michael Collins Centre in Clonakilty to meet Tim, the historian who runs the centre. Tim explained that the pylons were only to keep local cows from wandering onto the concrete pad!
Tim made a 90-minute presentation about Irish republican leader Michael Collins, in which he spoke non-stop, with no notes.
One of the artifacts in the centre is what is left of Michael Collins' motorcycle. In the photo below, the Triumph motorbike in the rear is NOT the Collins bike, but an authentic bike of the same era. The frame and motor on the table in front is the remains of the actual MC bike! Apparently it had a significant history after it belonged to Collins. It was converted into a motor for a farm pump, which is why all that is left of it is the frame and the motor.
The centre also has a collection of replica vehicles, including a Crossley Tender.
Next stop was Burgatia farmhouse, scene of a battle between Tom Barry's West Cork Flying Column and the Black and Tans of the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC). Regrettably, I didn't take any photos. I did however get a few photos of Rosscarbery, where Barry's brigade attacked the RIC barracks, which was subsequently abandoned by the RIC.
Centenary plaque commemorating the attack on the barracks.
According to Tim, the vegetation today is much more verdant than it was in 1920. It was more open on the day of the ambush.
No comments:
Post a Comment