Sunday 21 June 2020

Red Patch Motorcycles

As I read Farley Mowat's And No Birds Sang, I noted how frequently he mentioned hopping on a motorcycle whenever sent off on an errand.  That inspired me to add a group of dispatch riders to my most recent order to Perry Miniatures.  


The pack includes three riders - two in movement and one stopped to hand off his message.

To make the moving riders look more like they are in motion, I added some 'dust clouds'.  This is the first time I tried this technique.  I took some toy animal stuffing, immersed it in some watered down paint, and glued it behind the bike.






I managed to stick one of the bikes on a bit angled, but it ends up looking like I almost meant it to happen!  It looks like the driver is leaning in to his turn.



And to round out the set, here is the dispatch rider who has stopped to hand off his message.




6 comments:

  1. Great looking motorcyles William, and the dust is a very nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two motorcycle anecdotes:

    1) Steve McQueen in 'The Great Escape'! As a kid on my bike through the neighbourhood, it was hard not to imagine myself as 'the Cooler King'.

    2) This is how T.E. Lawrence came to a bad end. His demise led to legislation requiring the use of MC helmets.

    Nice work, Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, Phil and Kevin.

    With regard to helmets, Kevin, my research for Op Husky brought up many photos of soldiers wearing motorcycle helmets, and the same style helmets were also worn by universal carrier crews. Something I thought of as I painted these three lads, even though I didn't try to replicate the MC helmet here.

    For what it's worth, Steve McQ rode a Triumph in the GE (even if was disguised as a Bimmer), and the note on the Perry website says that these models are also Triumphs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the Steve McQueen escape on his MC would make a decent skirmish game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that could be done, maybe with the vehicle rules from "Mad Dogs With Guns"...

      Delete