Saturday 23 January 2021

Russian Clergy

I've been meaning to get a Russian Orthodox priest for quite a while, to add as moral support for any or all of my Russian armies.  The timeless nature of the priestly garb means that the same figure will not look out of place over several centuries of history:  these figures can be used to support my Russian armies for the Great Northern War (Peter the Great), Patriotic War of 1812 (Napoleonic), 1880-ish Central Asia, or even WWII Red Army (in an unofficial role, of course!).


These figures are from Siberia Miniatures.  I painted these two first, so that I could start with the basic, all-black garb of the Orthodox church.  The priest on the left is a standalone figure, while chap on the right (I've decided to call him the 'deacon') is part of the Defenders of the Manor set, representing the denizens of a 'typical' Russian manor, preparing to face down a group of revolutionaries set on dispossessing them of their estate.


They are both very nice figures.  The priest's face is particularly striking, and makes me think it might be modelled on a real person!  Although the proportion is a bit exaggerated, like the 'heroic' proportions from Foundry or other figures from the 80s or 90s.  


No comments:

Post a Comment