Monday 3 July 2023

Red Army Support Weapons

 A couple years back, I tried to unload my WWII Red Army onto Doug.  He recently returned the army to me, as he isn't particularly interested in WWII, but happily took my army of Tsar Alexander I in its place!  Getting the Red Army back has inspired me to finally finish painting the infantry support weapons, including Maxim machine guns and 50 mm and 82 mm mortars.


These models are, like most of the Red Army I painted back in 2019, are from Plastic Soldier Company.  As I noted when I first purchased them, the figures are very low price compared to other 28 mm figures, but are still nicely sculpted.

The Maxim machine guns look kinda small compared to MMGs from other manufacturers.  The Maxim gun is one of those iconic weapons that are so closely tied to a particular army - still in use today more than a century after its introduction.




The box set includes two pairs of soldiers pulling the MG being moved using its wheeled carriage.



Here are the two pairs of mortars, the 50 mm PM-41 light mortar and the 82 mm PM-37 medium mortar.  The kneeling crewmen aren't holding the mortar bombs quite high enough to drop them into the mortar, but I can forgive them; maybe the crewmen are just in the process of lifting the bombs.  ;^)



To finish up the crews, here are 5 assorted crewmen.  Since I'm unlikely to be using all the MGs and mortars at the same time, these blokes will be assigned to crew weapons as needed!


So my Red Army finally has some of the basic infantry support weapons one would expect them to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment