Friday 21 July 2023

Wild West terrain, figures and game aids

 I am continuing to have fun with TFL's What a Cowboy.  I've been adding to my collection to expand my opportunities for gaming.

First up, I realised that I need more scatter terrain to make the game interesting.  More terrain means that players will need to put more effort into spotting enemies and also means more difficult terrain to slow down movement.  I made these fence pieces from thin dowels glued to tongue depressors.  Pup Figures 'vaquero americano' added for scale.




Each section is 6" in length, a very convenient size for planning scenarios!


WaC has of course encouraged me to look at the lead mountain and finish up some long-neglected figures!  Three on the left are from Artizan Designs, and the two on the right are Pulp Figures.  I had fun making the ponchos a bit more interesting.



These two Pulp Figures are gringo mercenaries, roughly from the time of Pancho Villa - a bit later than the late 19th Century of most Westerns, so the Lewis LMG and the broomhandle Mauser are somewhat more advanced weaponry than is typically found in a wild west game.  I think the bloke on the right looks a bit like Omar Sharif!



Two of the three Artizan Designs figures are from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly set.  Tuco is already elsewhere in my collection - no doubt he'll show up in a future game.



Finally, here are some ammunition markers that I prepared to keep track of revolver ammo.  I wanted to have something other than dice to track bullets, as it is far to easy to pick up and roll a die if it is on the table!  Unfortunately, in our game last night I realised an error:  I didn't include a 'zero' measurement for when all bullets have been fired!  Oh, well, live and learn :^)



Their use is quite simple.  Just drop it on the profile sheet in the 'ammo' box, and track with the arrow.





2 comments:

  1. All are turning out well Will. I may need to check Thingeverse, I am sure someone has made an ammo counter by now. Still looking at the What a Cowboy ruleset, but I have so many already.....decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WaC is great fun, fast playing, almost role-playing game level of engagement. I hear you about having too many games, far more than I can actually find time to play. It doesn't stop me from picking up more, and more, and more, though!

    ReplyDelete