Monday 14 August 2023

Great War Armies on Parade

My friend Rob just returned my WWI armies to me, that he had been storing for a while.  So naturally it is time for an Armies on Parade post.



A quick count came up with the following numbers (note that this for Western Front only, doesn't include all the British Empire types for Gallipoli/East Africa/Mespot/Palestine etc, as those are in my Jamjhar collection):

Germans 1914-15


208 line infantry (mix of headwear types), 


16 jaegers, 



24 matrosen (sailors)



6 Maxim medium machine guns


15 cavalry (10 Uhlans, 4 hussars, one dragoon)

17(+) officer types



3 77 mm Field guns





French 1914-15 (these figures are worse for wear, and are overdue for a paint touch up!)

50 line infantry, 21 Zouaves, 6 officers, 2 Hotchkiss MG, 2 75mm field guns





British/Canadians 1914-15

61 line infantry, 



28 Highlanders, 16 Lowlanders



2 Vickers MG (plus one team transporting their gun)



16 officers 

And 3 pipers!




6 18-pdr field guns, plus a trench catapult



Canadians 1916-18

29 Highlanders, 



45 line infantry





3 Lewis gun teams, 2 rifle grenadiers



8 officers



1 Whippet tank, 1 Mk4 male tank, 1 Rolls Royce Armoured Car, 1 Armoured Autocar, 5 dismounted tank crew



My scratch-built Canadian Armoured Autocar!






and assorted signallers, casualties, stretcher bearers, and others.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good question! I've got Through the Mud and the Blood by Too Fat Lardies, as well as the tweaks to convert Mud and Blood for Chain of Command. There's also the idea of using Xenos Rampant or Men Who Would Be Kings. If I can get my hands on a copy, I might consider Warhammer Historical Wargaming's OOP The Great War (basically WH40k for WWI). More importantly, I've got the TFL's Stout Hearts and Iron Troopers, which is chock full of WWI scenarios. Getting a challenging, balanced scenario ought to count more than the actual rules used.

      Delete