Monday 12 August 2024

WWI Russians

 Wargames Atlantic recently released a set of plastic Russian soldiers for World War I (with the option to stretch the timeline to include the Russo-Japanese War and then on through the Russian Civil War).  I resisted for a while, but eventually Arthur asked for some, so I naturally caved and bought the three-box multi-deal. And of course I then overdid it and placed an order with Siberia Miniatures for even more WWI Russkis.

I've now got roughly a platoon worth of Russian infantry, along with some basic supports.


The core of the force is infantry from Wargames Atlantic.


Officers and NCOs.


And the riflemen.



From Siberia Miniatures, a stretcher party with nurse and priest.



I hand painted a regimental colour.  Not quite historically accurate, and not completely satisfactory.  I may need to replace it with a printed version.



Based on this image I found on Wikipedia of a Pavlovski Guardsman from 1914, I found some extra heads with mitre hats to make my own versions.





My order with Siberia Miniatures included a selection of members of Maria Bochkareva's Women's Battalion of Death.  There's a great article on them (with photos!) here:  https://girlswithguns.org/maria-bochkareva-womens-battalions-death/


I did my best to paint the correct slogan on the flag, which was made easier as the words are lightly etched on the casting.



Here's a photo of the flag.

Here is Maria "Yashka" Bochkareva herself (not a great photo, I will get a better one soon).




Indy Neidel made a nice little video about her on Youtube:

These ladies are pretty hefty - they look quite intimidating next to the Wargames Atlantic infantry!


Support weapons include a field gun with an imperial navy crew.  I made up a couple extra loaders from the WA set.



The gun crew are magnetised so that they can be removed if necessary.


There's also Maxim gun with again, extra loaders from Wargames Atlantic.



No Russian army is complete without cavalry!

Officers


Lancers

And sabres.


As the Circassian Cossacks didn't adopt the new cavalry uniforms, these lads can come over from my 1880-ish army of Central Asia!





2 comments:

  1. Goodness! That's quite the collection you've put together!? Nicely done! Is there a plan to build a Japanese force for the Russo-Japanese war!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! No plan for Japanese, these Russians will battle the Germans!

      Delete