Saturday 21 July 2018

1880 armies on parade

Time to clean up the work area, and get the toys properly put away.  But before I get everything shipshape, I decided to get a good measure of my 1880-era NWF and Central Asia armies.





Currently ready for action, I have three armies; Indian, Afghan and Russian.

Indian Army is the largest:
HM the Queen




RHA gun, crew and limber





22 Indian Lancers (these are actually from my WWI army but I'm using them here as proxies as I don't have any 1880 cavalry right now)





23 Gordon Highlanders




20 Sikh Infantry (rather unfairly, I call these the 'generic Sikhs'; I should assign them a regiment as I have for the 66th Berkshires!)




20 Gurkhas (as with the Sikhs, these brave Nepalis should also be assigned a regiment!)




12 Rattray's Sikhs




20 Dismounted Guides Cavalry (I've been meaning to add some mounted Guides cavalry to balance out these men on foot - hasn't happened yet and I'm pretty sure I have higher priorities for spending both time and money these days!)




12 16th Regiment Bombay Infantry




15 29th Regiment Baluchis I




12 72nd Duke of Albany's Highlanders 




24 English redcoat infantry (these are generic redcoats marching; they are a bit out of kilter with the rest of the khaki mob)




24 66th (Berkshire) Infantry (these could also easily be renamed the 'generic Englishmen!')




Dr Watson and medical attendants




The Sergeants 3 and Gunga Din, and Peachy, Danny and Billy Fish, just to add some more character to the army.







That's approximately 185 infantry, one gun and 22 cavalry.  

Russian Army






Mounted commanding officer

54 Infantry

Gun and 4 crew

9 Cossacks

Afghan Army

Emir and advisors




48 Afghan Regular Army Infantry




Gun and 4 crew




Tribal mountain gun with crew




34 tribal horse (including two time travellers!)







50 musket/jezzail/rifle armed tribesmen and 52 tribesmen with hand weapons, flags, drums





I also have a couple of dozen modern Afghans, who could be pressed into service and hope that no one notices.  I will be using these modern Afghan casualties as markers for battered units, not historically accurate but certainly will look better than using dice or coloured tokens!




Wow, I could really have a sizeable battle game with these armies.  My task now is to convince myself that I have achieved an elegant sufficiency, and there is no need for me to add any more.  But I want an Indian mountain gun, and to increase the size of the Afghan forces, and to find some Russian regular cavalry...


No comments:

Post a Comment