Sunday 20 February 2022

Early WWII Highlanders Platoon for 1940 Chain of Command

 I've painted up another 20 Pulp Figures Highlanders to go with the platoon I posted about last month.  I've now got almost a complete BEF 1939 Regulation Platoon (per the TFL Blitzkrieg 1940 handbook); all that's missing is the 2" mortar team.  I expect to have that team finished soon.  The 1939 Platoon has relatively small, 8-man sections.  If I want to reorg to the 1940 Regulation Platoon, I'll need to recruit 9 more infantry to bring each section up to 11 men each.



I've organised the troops into sections following the same pattern I did for my Operation Husky platoons.  Each section has a number of red dashes on the base so that (hopefully) I can keep track of which section is taking casualties through a game!  Platoon HQ members each get a long dash, and each section gets short dashes to match their section number.  I've also tried to put junior leaders on different size or shaped bases so that they stand out a bit from the regular chaps, just in case the big chevrons on their arms aren't obvious enough!


First up is the Platoon Command.  According to the list, I get to choose between a Lieutenant OR a Platoon Sergeant Major, but I have both in case I choose a second SL as a support option.  Also here are the Boys anti-tank rifleman and two crew (who will have to be taken from one of the sections if deployed).  2" mortar team are still to come.



1 Section is led by a corporal, and contains two teams:  a 3-man Bren team and a 4-man rifle team.





2 Section has the same composition as 1 Section.






3 Section has a Lewis gun team rather than a Bren team.  For game purposes I intend to treat it just like a Bren!





The BEF had not yet completely warmed up to the idea of issuing submachine guns to all NCOs, but the lists allow me the option to provide Thompson SMGs to one or more of the junior or senior leaders.  So, I have 4 tommygun-toting NCOs to step in as needed.





Another support option available is the "drinks cabinet", which allows the platoon's senior leader a one-time ability to rally shock by doling out booze to the boys.  Since I have Highlanders, I'm going to substitute a piper who will rally the troops with a stirring tune!



I dug into my collection of WWI figures and found a Vickers gun.  This gives me a pretty significant support option - a Medium Machine Gun with 5 crew!






And finally, I have a few extra bodies.  Two more officers (I am calling them the Colonel and the Adjutant) and an extra Boys Rifle and Lewis Gun.  I suppose I could give the Adj a telephone and say that he is the FOO for the mortar section!





That's it for now, but hopefully there'll be more updates for this project over the coming months.

6 comments:

  1. Nice figs, Will! Reminds me of the 1960 film "Tunes of Glory" < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunes_of_Glory > The large command figure in the last shot looks like the character 'Dusty'!< https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054412/mediaviewer/rm4060790017/ >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. Tunes of Glory is an old favourite!

      Delete
  2. WOW thats quite the output Will....you've almost caught up to me with my BEF project....but then I often get sidetracked. I do enjoy the Pulp figures. Will need to get some of these, once I've found the ones I bought before so I don't overdo it....again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Terry. I tend to get at these projects in fits and starts. And it helps to do the 'short' platoon with 8-figure sections ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever substitution of a piper for the "drinks" - for the same effect. I mean, really, one MUST have a piper in every highland unit...
    The Vickers crew being prone vs the upright beefer boys does not look out of place. The minor uniform differences are then not obvious. Good move that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. I have more WWI Highlanders, but the differences are a bit more obvious, especially when seen side by side with these lads.

      Delete