Monday 2 September 2019

PSC USSR ATR, LMG & SMG

Here is the next batch of Plastic Soldier Company WWII Russians.  Anti-tank rifles, light machine guns and submachine guns.

I've not quite settled on the colour and shade for the uniforms that I like best.  I initially followed the painting guide on the box, that called for a base colour of "tan yellow", which would probably be ok for the summer uniform, which was made of cotton and would typically fade to a light khaki colour.  However, since I want these to be useful into the fall of 1941, I wanted them to have more of an olive-green hue which the woolen fabric of the winter uniform was known for.  I experimented with several different approaches, using different colours for the base before I settled on Vallejo Model Color 70.988 Khaki.  I also played around with washes and then dry brushing a lighter shade on top of the washed figure. I'm still not content with the overall appearance, but I'm getting there. Rather than going back and doing all the figures with the same paint recipe, I've decided to keep a range of the results, which ends up showing another result:  as the Soviet supply chain and quality control were all over the place, it was common to have a range of hues in any given unit.  Hopefully this comes out with the way these soldiers ended up.

For LMG and ATR teams, PSC provides versions prone and firing, as well as advancing models.  I like this.  Time will tell if I have the enthusiasm to swap out figures that are firing and walking when I actually play a game, but for now at least I have the option!

The ATR (anti-tank rifle) teams are equipped with the PTRS ATR, although I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the PTRS and the PTRD.  The Russians continued to equip their soldiers with anti-tank rifles long after other powers stopped doing so.  Turns out this was not such a bad idea, because even if the ATR can't penetrate tank armour, it's still able to mess up armoured cars and other more lightly armoured vehicles, and can make life unpleasant for enemies in bunkers or other cover that normal small arms wouldn't affect.

Here they are prone and firing.





And advancing.  A quirk of the plastic moulding process is that the folded bipod legs end up looking like a flat rectangular plate under the rifle!  A more clever painter than me could probably have disguised this a bit better 8^)


Next up are the light machine gun (LMG) crews.  These lads have the DP (or Degtyaryov) LMG with is distinctive circular pan magazine.  Advancing and firing versions both provided, and this time the loaders are clearly identified in the advancing sets!





And to round things out here are the submachine gunners, equipped with the famous and ubiquitous PPSh SMG.  My experimentation in uniform shades is clearly visible here.  I suppose I'll need to follow through on this variety when I move on to finish the riflemen.  




And finally, here is a group shot of the ATR, LMG and SMG troops.




No comments:

Post a Comment