Sunday 16 October 2022

RN armed sailors and a sniper

 My Pulp Figures Highlanders for 1940 are built on the 'short' 1939 regulation platoon, which has 9 fewer riflemen than the 1940 regulation platoon, in accordance with the Chain of Command Blitzkreig handbook.  I was not terribly fussed about this, until I picked up the 'Capturing Caesar's Camp' Pint Sized Campaign, which features platoons of the 51st (Highland) Division using the (you guessed it!) 1940 regulation strength.  Rather than rush out to purchase and paint 9 more riflemen, however, I decided to be a little bit clever.  (or cheap, or lazy, depending on your interpretation).

I have a number of Pulp Figures' rifle-armed RN sailors.  They are missing, however, a light machine gun and a leader.  So I decided to arm a couple of the deck crew figures.  The Jolly Jack Tar on the left has been promoted to Leading Seaman (based on the red blob on his left arm, representing an anchor), and he has been provided with a Tommy gun from my bits box.  His companion on the right has a Bren gun, as well as some ammo pouches and a pistol that were also sourced from my bits box.



I now have a section of RN armed sailors who can join with the Jocks to form a full platoon of BEF to resist Gerry's advance into France and/or Belgium (and/or England, should it come to that!).  



As you can see, since the sailors were painted in two different batches, their basing is completely inconsistent.  Oh, well...

As a bonus, I found this figure in my Great War collection.  He is from Great War Miniatures, and has been in my collection for some time.  He'll fit in quite nicely as a sniper for the 1940 campaign.





No comments:

Post a Comment