Saturday 24 August 2019

Bolt Action Order Dice

I've previously mentioned my enthusiasm for Too Fat Lardies and their games, particularly Chain of Command.  Unfortunately, while I'm keen on CoC, I've been frustrated in that it's been difficult to set up and complete a full game in a 2-3 hour session at the club.  So I've decided to try out Warlord Games' WWII skirmish game, Bolt Action.

Accordingly, I picked up the second edition rule book and started reading.  For activation each round, players reach into a bag and pull out an activation die and the colour of the die will indicate which team gets to issue an order to one of its units.  While the author of the rules makes it quite clear that coloured dice are NOT required, and that activation could be determined through pulling tokens or flipping cards, Warlord encourages using "order dice", which conveniently have the 6 standard orders printed on them, one on each face.  Warlord charges USD$20 for a set of 12 order dice (compared to USD$6.50 for 30 regular dice in Warlord's own webstore!).  In my opinion, the price is a bit rich.  So, rather than pulling tiddlywinks from a bag or flipping cards, I decided to make my own order dice.

I stopped by Michael's (big box arts and crafts shop) and picked up some supplies:



Sorry for the blurry photo.  Shown in the photo are two fine-point sharpies, two 24-packs of 1.9 cm wooden cubes and 6 sheets of coloured construction paper, 3 each in red and green.  Michael's always seems a bit overpriced to me; I'd probably have got better prices at the dollar store, but even the above was under CAD$25.  Materials to make 48 dice for less than the cost of 12 from Warlord.  And as it happened I only needed one of each coloured sheet, but at least now I have a few extra around for some other project.

I traced a 15 mm x 15 mm grid on the construction paper, and started cutting (borrowing Erik's scissors, I'm certain he wouldn't mind).



Using good old Elmers white glue, I glued one square onto each face of each cube.


And then used the sharpie to write one of each of the orders onto each face.  That's it, 48 dice done!  


2 comments:

  1. These dice make the 'cheapy wargamer' heart beat stronger.. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. Just don't mistake them for REAL dice!

      Delete