Saturday 24 August 2019

The Hill (1965) What a great movie!

As I've been on a bit of a WWII kick lately, I've been putting on WWII movies for my background noise as I paint.  A lot of what I play is just background noise, but The Hill (1965), directed by Sidney Lumet, was just amazing, and pulled my attention away from my painting.

It's got a stellar cast, tightly controlled by an excellent director.  I think it's the best film I've ever seen Sean Connery in.  The film also has Harry Andrews, who never fails to catch my attention whatever role he plays. The rest of the cast is great, including Roy Kinnear, Ossie Davis, Michael Redgrave, Jack Watson (reminds me I need to rewatch The Devil's Brigade) and more.

Here's the trailer, find a copy (it's available on line) and watch it for yourself!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Will,

    Yes! 'The Hill' is a pretty intense movie. I saw it years ago and found it hard to turn away. Harry Andrews is amazing. Since you're on that 'kick' see 'The Bridge' if you haven't already. Also: It's not WWII (it's TYW), but try seeing 'The Village' with Michael Caine. Similarly intense.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kevin and thanks for the comment! I'd watch Michael Caine in almost anything - I even liked "The Island", which I think probably puts me in a minority. When you say 'The Bridge", do you mean 'A Bridge Too Far'? Love it, and I've just picked up a figure based on Sean Connery's Roy Urquhart to paint. I've seen and really enjoyed 'The Last Valley', which is the TYW one.

    For my current kick, I've just rewatched MC in 'Battle of Britain' - which I was able to contrast with a 2019 movie called 'A Matter of Honour', about Polish pilots in the BoB. BoB is amazing, all those real airplanes making real airplane sounds! (aMoH also good, right up to and including where we screw over our Polish and Czech allies after they fought alongside us for 6 years).

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I mean the 'Die Brucke' (1959). This would make an excellent skirmick (maybe WaT) scenario. See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Br%C3%BCcke_(film), and:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Bridge-Folker-Bohnet/dp/B00UUOVQ5Y/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=The+bridge&qid=1566765327&s=dvd&sr=1-8

    Cheers,

    K.

    ReplyDelete



  4. (Gee, I spell real good...)

    No, I mean the 'Die Brucke' (1959). This would make an excellent skirmish (maybe WaT) scenario. See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Br%C3%BCcke_(film), and:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Bridge-Folker-Bohnet/dp/B00UUOVQ5Y/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=The+bridge&qid=1566765327&s=dvd&sr=1-8

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, thanks, I'll look for that one (I had Caine on the brain, so was trying desperately to make a bridge connection!).

    ReplyDelete