Sunday 5 April 2020

Soviet Cavalry Officer

Here's another figure from my backlog.  Company B markets him as 'Marshal Zhukov', but to my mind he's a bit thin to be Georgi, who in every photo I've seen looks to be a pretty hefty man.  So for my purposes, I've painted him as a more generic cavalry officer.





By comparison, here is Zhukov (courtesy wikipedia By Mil.ru, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=78611068). Actually, after taking another look at Company B's webpage, I see they call him 'Zurkov', so maybe they mean a different bloke altogether ;^)



I have an on and off interest in building up a Red Army cavalry force, and am somewhat surprised that only one company (West Wind Productions) seems to offer them in 28mm size.  Surprising as I can find German, French, Polish, Hungarian, British and even German Cossack cavalry, even though the Soviets had some 80-odd cavalry divisions, which must be more than all other armies' cavalry combined!  Of course, the Soviets were sensible, and their cavalry fought dismounted, so their horses were more like the trucks that other armies used to transport troops to the battlefield.  This would make having actual Red Army cavalry on horses as useful as having US infantry in deuce and half trucks - ok for display purposes but a hindrance in an actual game!  

And I have seen articles like this one or this one which involved conversions, or this one using RCW cavalry.  If I ever get back to my WWII Red Army, I might consider following suit and trying my own conversions.

4 comments:

  1. Handsome officer William!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the uniforms have changed much from the Great War? Coppelstone has lots of Russian Cavalry...? Could you BS some together with some steel-pot-helmet head swaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's some scope for conversion from earlier Russian cavalry - I'm mostly surprised that 28mm cavalry for the army that fielded more cavalry than all others combined is not better represented. 8^)

      Delete