Thursday 30 April 2020

German Two-fer: Opel Blitz and PaK36

Two entries on the menu today!  

First up, a PaK36 anti-tank gun from Perry Miniatures.  The 37 mm PaK36 was a bit underpowered by 1943 standards, so I really should model a Stielgranate 41 somehow - the Stielgranate is a shaped charge that fits over the muzzle, and added enough punch to allow the gun to take out heavier tanks.  For game purposes, I'll just declare that they have sufficient Stielgranate, and you can't see them as they've either just been fired, or are being retrieved from ammunition cases.


The Perry set comes with 3 crew, but since Chain of Command calls for a 5-man crew for this weapon, I've added two more from the plastic Afrika Korps box.  Those plastics are just so darn versatile!


As usual, I've added some markings on the base to help keep track of the crew.



Two crewmen are attached directly to the base, and there are three singles to allow casualty removal.


Today's second offering is the Warlord Games Opel Blitz.  I suppose it could serve as a tow for the PaK36, so the two models in the post can be related.


The kit goes together nicely.  It is a Warlord Games specific model, not one of the collaborations with Italeri, and it shows in the simple way the pieces fit together.  No complaints from me!  I liked the ease of construction.


It's a plastic kit that can be assembled either as a truck or as a half-track; I stuck with the fully-wheeled version as that better suits my idea for this army.


I found the red triangle insignia on the decal sheet.  It's the insignia of the 15th Panzer Division, which is a bit of a cheat for Sicily as by then they had been reorganised as the 15th PanzerGrenadier Division (with a white star insignia), but it's close enough for me!



A nice bonus in this kit is a full, 10-man seated infantry section.  I fixed magnets on the men and the benches, so the troops can be removed as needed.  


And finally a few of the empty truck bed, in case there's a need to haul something other than passengers!


2 comments: