Saturday 18 July 2020

Ordnance QF 25-Pounder

As my WWII gaming is focussed at platoon level.  In the context of one of these games, there is no scope for deploying a field artillery battery, or even a single gun.  But the completist in me wanted a 25-pdr gun anyway.


The Ordnance QF 25-pounder was the ubiquitous field gun for British, Imperial and Commonwealth militaries in the Second World War, and for decades afterward. It wasn't the most powerful gun in the war - even British forces had heaver guns available, and other armies had much more variety.  However the RA, RCA and other Imperial and Commonwealth artillery forces were famous for their ability to drop a "stonk" wherever and whenever called, and the 25-pdr was the primary mode of delivering those bombardments.

So here is my take on the Blitzkieg Models 25-pdr with a crew from Perry Miniatures (although I ordered the gun from Perry along with the crew).

The gun is a resin model, with metal barrel and circular firing platform.  Normally, I put my guns on bases, but since this one has the firing platform, I decided to see how it goes baseless.  I can always add a base later if I choose.



I added division and unit insignia on the gun and limber, mostly for interest.  It's probably not accurate, but I don't care.


Here's the Perry Miniatures crew, except for the gun's No 3, the Layer, who is sitting in the gun.




The gun also has a limber.  This is the trailer that stored the gun's ready ammunition.



So here is the whole team, busy in action.





No comments:

Post a Comment