Saturday 17 April 2021

BSC2021 - Getting Started

 Today is a lovely, warm and sunny spring day, so I was able to set up the tables on the patio and get started on building the hills.  😃

Over the past couple of days, I managed to get some paint on the Bailey Bridge, allowing it to take pride of place to test fit the hills to ensure that I build a gap that it will fit.  Even though it's just green and brown, it was a real nuisance to paint.  Getting paint inside the tiny bits was no fun at all:  when (or if) I build its sister, I'll paint first and assemble after!



Following the plan I'd prepared, I set out the insulation board and got to work.  (and reminded myself to take photos to document the build process 😉)


I checked my assumption that 2" was enough height for the bridge over the gorge.



Looks OK to me!

I started cutting:



Following the advice from Pat Smith's "Setting the Scene", I was careful to just use points of glue - he points out that if the entire surface is covered in glue (especially with white glue), it will not create a bond.



Moving on, I traced the desired cut lines on the next hill as the glue was setting for the first.



It was about now that I realised the white glue was not creating a bond between the insultation board and the plywood base.  So I decided to try an alternative: double sided carpet tape!  




Carpet tape turned out to be just great.  I probably overdid it, but the only way those boards will shift is by tearing them apart.


To mask where two boards come together, I decided to put a mini-gorge.  Not the best photo, but the gorge can be seen in the shadow.  Hopefully it will be a bit clearer as the build progresses.


I got into the swing of things, and didn't photograph everything.  This is how the boards looked at the end of the day.





My original plan was to go for a 4" maximum height with the boards, but I now think that 3 layers (3") will be enough.  Compare the current progress with the photo of the valley.



I keep reminding myself that this is a representation for gaming on, not an exact scale model.  If I need additional height on the side slopes, I might add some removable hills to fit the corners.  Any comments greatly appreciated!


2 comments:

  1. Very nice job on this bridge William!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil, lots more to go before this project is done!

      Delete