Saturday 24 April 2021

BSC2021: I Like Big 'But(ments) and I Cannot Lie

After enjoying lovely sunny and warm weather all week (when I was stuck at work!), we are experiencing a rainy weekend.  No hope of working outside on the patio, and there is no way that I'm going to be sanding off the plaster indoors!  Instead, I've found some detail work to keep me occupied. 

Throughout Sicily, and onto the Italian mainland and also in NWE, the German army routinely destroyed bridges.  As far I can tell, though, they mostly destroyed the bridge span, but often the bridge abutments and piers were left in place.  For example, here is a painting of a Bailey Bridge in Italy:


This was painted in 1944 by Captain Lawren Phillips Harris in Italy, and is part of the Canadian War Museum's collection:  https://www.warmuseum.ca/collections/artifact/1018653/

As you can see, the Bailey bridge has been installed on the previous bridge's abutments. I was not able to find any pre-war photos of the Leonforte bridge, but this screen capture is from Google Earth and shows a hint of the current bridge's abutments.  I don't know when the current bridge was built - most likely it was built long after the war ended, but nonetheless I'm going to use it as inspiration for my project.


I'd previously picked up a cobblestone-printed sheet, originally intended for the streets in my Sicilian village.  I've repurposed it for the bridge abutments!


Cut to size, set in place with some carpet tape and then add some sidewalls.
North side:



South side:




I mixed up some plaster of Paris to fill in behind the wingwalls:




I'm going to let the plaster set overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment